KIOWA PAINTER TSEKOYATE (JAMES AUCHIAH) BORN—MEMBER OF THE “KIOWA SIX”
Born in Oklahoma (OK) Territory near present Medicine Park, his Kiowa name meant “Big Bow.” James’ talent was noticed at mission school. In January 1927, at the University of OK, he joined with Spencer Asah, Jack Hokeah, Stephen Mopope, Louise Smoky Kaulaity & Monroe Tsatoke (the “Kiowa Six”) for art instruction. At the American Federation of Arts convention their paintings were among the first fine art produced by North American Indians. In 1928, at a Czechoslovakian festival, their art was recognized globally. In the 1930s, Auchiah completed several murals, including one at the Federal Building, Anadarko. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II and worked part time at Fort Sill, OK. James painted & taught art until his death, December 28, 1974, at Carnegie, OK. His work graces: Castillo de San Marcos Nat’l Monument; Gilcrease Museum; U.S. Dept. of the Interior; Museum of New Mexico; Nat’ Museum of the American Indian; OK Historical Society; and Philbrook Museum of Art.
Sources: Mary Jo Watson, “Auchiah, James (1906-1974),” Oklahoma Historical Society. Retrieved 8/12/2020, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=AU001 Wikipedia Photo: Courtesy of the Oscar B. Jacobson Collection, OHS (21144.53.0), Oklahoma Hall of Fame Archives, Oklahoma Hall of Fame at the Gaylord-Pickens Museum, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. [Cropped].