IN TREATY OF EASTON, LENAPE CEDE TERRITORY FOR RESERVATION IN NEW JERSEY
During the French and Indian War, the Lenape Indians, as part of the Easton Treaty of 1758 (between Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and 13 Indian nations), relinquished land in New Jersey in exchange for a reservation on the edge of the Pine Barrens. The reserve lands had a farmhouse and 2 mills on the Mullica River at Edgepillock in Burlington County (now Indian Mills). The new settlement was named Brotherton by Governor Francis Bernard. John Brainerd, a Presbyterian missionary, settled there early in 1759 and a meetinghouse and 10 houses were constructed. There were never over 100 Indians at the Brotherton Indian Reservation. The reservation–New Jersey’s sole Indian reservation and the nation’s first–existed for just 43 years. Their sawmill burned and the population fell until 1802, when the remaining Indians left to join the Oneidas in New York. In 1822, the Brotherton Indians relocated to Wisconsin, where their descendants still live today. New Jersey sold the Brotherton tract in 1832.
Source: “Brotherton Indian Reservation,” what-when-how. Retrieved 3/9/2022, Brotherton Indian Reservation. To Burlington County (New Jersey) (what-when-how.com) Photo: Daderot, 9/16/2014. Permissive Use.